Read and execute the below steps to get Spotfire up and running in a simple configuration. The Spotfire 7.6 install and configuration process requires the following: one computer server, some Spotfire Web Player instances for other computers, the Spotfire Analyst client on another computer, and finally the user directory in the Spotfire database.
A preferable database server must be in an up and running state on your dedicated computer. Spotfire supports the Oracle Database Server and Microsoft SQL Server.If you are running an earlier version of Spotfire Server, see the ways to Upgrade it.
1. Download the required software.
2. Collect the required information.
3. Spotfire database set up on:
● On Oracle
● On SQL
4. Run the Spotfire Server installer.
5. Apply hotfix.
6. Create the bootstrap.xml file.
7. Creation and saving of a basic Spotfire Server configuration.
8. Create an administrator user.
9. Start Spotfire Server.
10. Deploy client software packages to Spotfire Server.
11. Install a node manager.
12. Authorize the node manager.
13. Install Spotfire Web Player instances.
14. Install Spotfire Automation Services instances.
Spotfire Server ships with Data Direct database drivers. When these drivers work well in testing environments, it is recommended that the drivers from your database server vendor are used in a production environment. Vendor drivers (JDBC) are available on Microsoft’s and Oracle’s homepages and you can download them. Place them in the <installation dir>/tomcat/lib directory. As soon you installed the database drivers, the Spotfire Server needs to be restarted according to the instructions specified in “Start and Stop Spotfire Server”.
Note: The database connection URL, which is used to connect the server to the database, may vary for different database drivers. Refer to “Database Connection URL Examples” to find the appropriate database connection URL and for database driver examples.
Copy the required ojdbc jar file in the C:\tibco\tss\7.0.0\tomcat\lib directory
Set Up the Spotfire Database
Assistance from your database administrator may be required to copy the install folder to the database and to provide information about the database variables.
Note: It is necessary to provide all information as indicated in the installation scripts.
Oracle on Windows
1. Copy the oracle_install folder from <Spotfire Server Installation Kit>\scripts folder to the database server.
2. Edit the “create_databases.bat” file and then submit database server details in the section under “Set variables to reflect the local environment”:
rem Set variables to reflect the local environment:
Example of how it could look after modifications:
rem Set variables to reflect the local environment:
This is the location where the tablespaces will be created generally. It is directly for the oracle instance, usually <oracle install dir>/oradata/<SID>. Note: Do not add any slash or backslash after the <SID>.
The Oracle TNS (Transparent Network Substrate) is the name given to the database. Usually, it is the same as the SID.
Usually “system” is the name of a user who has database administrator privileges. If not set, the default is the system account.
The password of the above user.
The user is created to set up the Spotfire database.
The password for the above user.
The name for a tablespace will be created. The default value will work for most systems.
The temporary tablespace is created with a name. The default value will work for most systems
Now make sure to Launch a command prompt and then navigate to the directory where you placed the scripts.
4. Type create_databases.bat and press Enter. Response: The following excerpt gets displayed in the command prompt if all the parameters are correct.
Installation of the Spotfire Server files (interactive on Windows)
Once confirmed with the database server setting, run the Spotfire Server installer as it is the succeeding step in the Spotfire Server installation process.
The Spotfire database has to be successfully set up on your Oracle or SQL Server database. Follow the instructions for Setting up the Spotfire database on Oracle or SQL Server.
For security and product performance enhancement, it is recommended to install Spotfire Server on a different computer than the database.
This procedure is only for an interactive installation with the help of the installation wizard. As an alternative, you can run a silent installation from the command line.
For more details, check the procedure for installing the Spotfire Server files (silently on Windows).
1. First, double-click the setup-win64.exe which you downloaded from the Tibco delivery website in the server installation kit.
Note: If you’re the Microsoft SQL Server with Windows Integrated Authentication user, make sure to have Domain user by installing the Spotfire server in the name of script create_databases_ia.bat. Ensure the Spotfire server runs on this Domain user. Now, confirm the logs so that the Spotfire server starts.
2. Secondly, you need to click the “next” option in the installation wizard welcome dialog box.
3. Now the license dialog with terms and conditions gets displayed. Read the instructions and continue to the next process.
4. If you're planning to configure the system for NTLM with internet access, choose "Download and Install” in the third-party components dialog to continue to the next step.
5. If you wish to change location in the destination folder, change it and continue to the next step.
6. Now the windows service dialog box gets displayed, choose the desired options and move to click next.
7. Specify the front-end port in the Spotfire Server Port dialog, and then click Next.
Important Tip: If you need to check whether a port is in use or not, just open a command prompt, and then type netstat -na, and press enter.
Now, you can see the ports selected during the installation for front-end, back-end communication, and registration ports must be opened in the firewall. (The default values are 80, 9443, and 9080.)
8. Now, specify the back-end ports in the Backend communication Ports dialog box, and then click next.
9. Now you need to choose the computer names that can be used by back-end trust in the Node Manager Hosts dialog box. Rest you can leave as they are.
10. Now you can see the “ready to install” dialog box on the screen, go through and then click Install.The dialog box tracks and notifies you of the installation status.
11. As soon as the installation is completed, just select “Launch the configuration tool” to open the configuration tool, or choose “Launch the upgrade tool” to open the upgrade to the existing tool.
What to do next
With the help of Applying hotfixes, you can apply any available hotfixes for the Spotfire server: