Apache Tomcat is an open-source implementation of java servlet.It is a web server used to manage Java web-based applications. In this blog,you can find the steps to ease your installation process for Tomcat 8 on ubuntu 20.04.
1. Update the machine by using the below command.
2. We need to install java to execute the java web application code. Open JDK is the default platform for java development in Ubuntu 20.04.
3. Create a tomcat group.
4. Next, create a tomcat user.
4.Make a directory /opt/tomcat to extract your tar file.
5. Extract your downloaded file.
1. Change directory into /opt/tomcat
2. Give tomcat group ownership over the entire installation
3. Now, give the tomcat-users access to the conf directory.
4. Make the Tomcat user the owner of the web apps, temp, logs
5. Create tomcat service file in the /etc/ systemd/ system/ directory
The following content has to be included in the file.
Save and then exit it.
1. Notify the system that you have created a new file.
2. Start tomcat service.
3. To know the status of the tomcat service, follow the below commands
4. We need to adjust the firewall to allow our requests to get to the service. Allow traffic to that port by using UFW.
# sudo ufw allow 8080
5. Paste â€œhttp://your_IP_address:8080â€ in a web browser.
Configure the user data to be used for the log-in.
Add the below content in that one.
If youâ€™re installing tomcat on a remote server and trying to access the manager and host manager, then follow the below instructions to disable few commands.
Save and exit now.
Now, enable and restart the tomcat service.
Now, browse the URL as shown below
Enter username and password in the field provided
To know the server information
The above steps and commands illustrate the simple steps required for the successful apache tomcat 8 installation on ubuntu 20.04 is explained in detail.